Figures released by the Port of Beirut show that overall receipts generated through the port reached $2.7bn in 2012, constituting a rise of 3.7% from $2.6bn in 2011. Customs receipts through the port totaled $1.4bn in 2012, up 5% from $1.3bn in 2011; while receipts from the value-added tax grew by 1.3% to $1.4bn. Also, the port's overall income grew by 10% year-on-year to $174.7m in 2012.
Further, the Port of Beirut handled an aggregate weight of 7.2 million tons of freight in 2012, up by 8.2% from 6.7 million tons in 2011. Import freight accounted for 88.2% of the weight, while the remaining 11.8% was export cargo.
A total of 2,125 ships docked the port in 2012, constituting a decrease of 1.9% from 2,167 ships a year earlier. In parallel, overall revenues generated through the Port of Tripoli reached $113.4m last year, constituting a drop of 29.4% from $160.5m in 2011.
Customs receipts through the port reached $36.3m in 2012, down 15.2% from $42.8m a year earlier; while receipts from the value-added tax reached $66.2m and dropped by 38.2% from $107.1m in 2011. The port's revenues declined 6.9% to $9.9m in 2012 from $9.5m a year earlier. Further, the Port of Tripoli handled an aggregate weight of 1.2 million tons of freight last year, down by 23.7% from 1.6 million tons in 2011. A total of 511 ships docked the port in 2012, constituting a decrease of 1.9% from 521 ships a year earlier.
Lebanon This Week – Byblos Bank